Monday 12 January 2009

Gay for Milk

I've just returned from two weeks in San Francisco hence the momentary silence but I've got lots to post here as soon as I get a chance. In the meantime I thought I'd mention the Harvey Milk film Milk by Gus Van Sant which is astonishingly good - quite probably made all the better when seen in San Francisco.

Sean Penn plays Harvey Milk (the first openly homosexual politician in America) with a warmth I didn't think he was capable of. He's always struck me as a little too self-righteous and overly serious but he's all smiles and joyous camp enthusiasm as Harvey Milk. If Mickey Rourke snatches the best actor oscar off him this year I'll be very disappointed given Rourke is for all intents and purposes playing himself. James Franco, Josh Brolin and Emile Hirsch all turn in fine supporting performances as well.

The whole issue with Prop 8 in California tends to suggest less progress in homosexual rights has been made than the film might depict but with that in mind maybe its release has come at the perfect time acting as a rallying cry for resistance against the progress retarding ways of America's God-damn fundamentalist Christians. It always amazes me that they seem to pick and choose their way through their beloved scriptures with such blinkered hostile perversity they seem to forget all about the 'love' and 'forgiveness' parts.

Hmmm - maybe I ought to stick to drawing and rambling on about drum heavy fuzzy Krautrock in future... Anyway go see it.






No comments: