Friday 10 December 2010

Beastie Boys 'Check Your Head' lp illustration

I have loved this record probably longer than any other record I've illustrated up to this point and it still sounds as fresh (FRESHHHHH-H-H-H-H) as it did to me as a teenager. I don't tend to get misty eyed about music too much - there's always something new coming out that has me champing at the bit (H Hawkline's 'A Cup of Salt' lp since you asked) but 'Check Your Head' has everything you could want as 15 year old boy or indeed a 33 year old boy - scuzzy low slung hip hop, two minute bursts of hardcore punk and blissfully wigged out instrumentals. To be honest I could've happily drawn 'Paul's Boutique' or 'Ill Communication' as well but I think 'Check Your Head' wins on account of it coming out when I was an easily led spotty sixteen year old with a skateboard and a stupid haircut. Cowabunga.

No comments: