Monday 13 February 2012

'Ghosts and Goblins' print

This is the illustration and print I did for the 'Multiplayer II' exhibition currently running at Gallery 1988 in LA. I was torn between doing Ghosts and Goblins and Gauntlet but I was up against it time-wise and decided my Gauntlet concept was a little too ambitious.

The concept for the Ghosts and Goblins piece is inspired by The Seventh Seal - Sir Arthur and Antonius Block are both knights on epic quests closely pursued by death - to be honest I'm surprised no-one has ever made the connection before and written a lengthy tome about it. The temptation is to throw everything at a pop culture inspired illustration like this but I liked the idea of marrying high brow (Ingmar Bergman) with low brow (old school platform game) too much hence the sombre and restrained tone. Unfortunately I think I may have ended up with a concept so obtuse I have to explain all the fun out of it.

The retarded tagline suitably undermines my pretentious vision anyway - I like to think the fact it was brain-stormed on an internet forum dedicated to the pursuit of rare records is also quite fitting. I like to think a lot of things though.

It's a two colour hand pulled screen-print and it's available at the exhibition and online now. I have a few to sell as well when the show finishes. Incidentally I dropped the 's' of Ghosts in keeping with the original arcade version of the game where the 's' was dropped too - I was torn as whether to or not given people would probably just think it a typo but I decided to remain true to the original game font.






2 comments:

juliatic said...

have u thought about making shirts with the artwork... it would be very nice!

take a look at http://www.threadless.com/

Alejandro Valdezate said...

It's Ghosts'n Goblins (plural)